Co-chaired by First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and Pro Football Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, the Council will place particular emphasis on the physical health and mental well-being of young people.
SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom today appointed 15 members to the Governor’s Advisory Council on Fitness and Mental Wellness, which is tasked with exploring strategies to promote the health and wellness of Californians of all ages. The advisory board is led by first partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom, who was a Division 1 athlete at Stanford University and a member of the Junior Women’s National Soccer Team, and Soccer Hall of Fame inductee Ronnie Lott. professional.
“The pandemic has shone a light on the importance of physical and mental health,” Governor Newsom said. “We are committed to improving healthy eating and fitness habits, as well as mental well-being, to help build a healthier, more resilient California for all.”
“As a lifelong athlete and mother of four young children, I look forward to embarking on this exciting partnership to provide children in California with many tools and opportunities to establish lifelong mental and physical wellness practices. of life,” said first partner Siebel Newsom. “After all, we know that lifestyle habits for physical activity, sport, nutrition and well-being are formed in early childhood.”
The advisory board includes representatives from health and wellness organizations, youth sports programs, education, the entertainment and fitness industry, and other physical and mental health experts:
- Dr. Sergio Aguila-Gaxiola, Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine, UC Davis School of Medicine and Director of the Center for Reducing Health Disparities at UC Davis
- Jessica Cruz, CEO of NAMI California
- Nisha Devi, Founder of Kala Wellness, practitioner in oriental medicine
- Francois Gallati, CEO of East Bay YMCA
- Ashley Hunter, Founder and Executive Director of Fit Kids
- Savannah Linhares, College Women’s Basketball Coach, Biology Teacher, Leadership and Bonding Team Teacher at Chowchilla High School, and 2020 Double-Goal Coach of the Year, Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA)
- Cheryl Miller, Olympic Gold Medalist, NCAA College Basketball 3-Time Player of the Year, Women’s Basketball Head Coach at Cal State LA
- Dr. Bill Resnick, psychiatrist and philanthropist, and mindfulness practitioner
- Stephen Revetria, President, Giants Enterprises
- Francesca Schüler, President of the California Fitness Alliance
- Dr. Dan Siegel, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine and Founding Co-Director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center
- Renata Simrill, President and CEO of the LA84 Foundation
- David Stewartformer Major League Baseball player
- Dr. Vernon Williams, Sports Neurologist and Founding Director of the Center for Sports Neurology and Pain Medicine at the Cedars-Sinai Kerlan-Jobe Institute
- Kristi Yamaguchi, Olympic Gold Medalist, Founder of Always Dream Foundation
“During my career as a professional athlete, I’ve learned the importance of physical and mental health,” said Ronnie Lott, who helped claim four Super Bowl victories for the San Francisco 49ers. “As a society, we tend to place a high value on physical health, but being mentally healthy is just as important. I look forward to serving on this advisory council to ensure that all California adults and children can enjoy good physical and mental health.
Advisory Council activities may include, among other things, providing advice on developing physical activity and wellness goals for Californians of all ages; increase awareness among all age groups of the benefits of physical activity, sports, nutrition and mental well-being; encourage intergenerational fitness activities; promote equitable access to outdoor and physical activities for underserved communities; and facilitate collaboration among federal, state, and local agencies, education, business and industry, the private sector, and others in promoting physical activity and mental well-being.